Committee Members May 1, 2017
Lee Sample, Chair
Doug George, Vice Chair
Dennis FitzGerald, Member
Mayor David Henderson, Ex Officio member
Cameron Holmstrom, Member
Douglas Lumsden, Member
Greg McElrea, Member
Alan Medcalf, Member
Robert MacKenzie, Member
Peter Meier, Member
Brockville will have a vibrant cycling culture, in which cycling is integrated into the
fabric of the City's sustainable lifestyle - in its transportation network, recreational opportunities, tourism initiatives and everyday living. The Brockville Cycling Advisory Committee (BCAC) cooperates with the Railway Tunnel and Brock Trail committees in pursuit of shared goals
To create sustainable lifestyle advantage by helping people cycle more often, through engineering, encouragement, enforcement, education and evaluation.
- The BCAC operates an information booth at numerous events, eg. DBIA sidewalk sale
- Cycle Downtown Brockville Downtown Brockville is a certified Bicycle Friendly Business Area.
- Cycling events are planned as part of the Canada 150/celebrate by bike and the opening of the Brockville Railway Tunnel events in summer 2017.
- Brockville Active Mobility Matters - a local blog with cycling information particularly relevant for citizens of Brockville
- Rationalization and signage of the Waterfront Trail route
- On road identification of cycling routes (sharrows-to be renewed 2017)
- Bicycle lanes were established on King Street West and Highway 2 (with the County)
- The multi-use Brock Trail from Parkedale to Central will be completed in the summer of 2017 in cooperation with the Brock Trail Committee.
- A proposal for a cycling network in the north end of the city is in development as part of a city-wide cycling network.
- Expanded deployment of downtown parking racks and rings: www.brockville.com/maps and choose “Cycle Brockville”
- Acquired long parking racks
- Established no charge monitored bike parking for special events such as Rib Fest and Tall ships events.
- Had bicycle parking added to the City’s special event application form
- Produced a Brockville Bicycle Parking Guide for cyclists and businesses
Brockville and Area Cycling Resources
- Committee documentation
- Brockville Official Plan: 5.2.5 Active Transportation Systems Y:\Clerk\Boards and Committees\BCAC\2017\OP section 5.2.5 - Active Transportation.pdf
- Brockville Bicycle Parking Guide - A guide for Business Owners & Cyclists in the City of Brockville
- Map of Brockville Cycling Network (in development)
- Eastern Ontario School Mountain Bike Challenge
- Healthy Communities
- Ontario Cycling Strategy
- Commute by Bike - Tips, news, reviews and safety for bike commuters
- Cycling in the Frontenac Arch Biosphere - Route suggestions, bike shops and rentals, tour operators, clubs, bike-friendly businesses and more
- Share the Road
- Bicycle Friendly Communities As of May 2017, 39 are designated in Ontario
- Ontario By Bike
- Ontario Trails
- Great Lakes Waterfront Trail
If you have cycling concerns and/or suggestions, the committee may be reached at email@example.com