Economic Development News
Economic Development Updates
· BUSINESS DIRECTORY – The Economic Development office has joined forces with United Counties of Leeds and Grenville to recently launch an updated online database of businesses for Brockville and area. Site searches can be specific for such sector categories such as;
Accommodations and Food Services
Following the choices above, sector searches can then be broken down for further specifics. This updated method allows individuals to easily register to add, delete and make changes to their business own listing information. The directory can be found on the main Economic Development website page; www.brockville.com or directly at http://busdir.brockville.com
· LIFESTYLE PUBLICATION - This new initiative highlighting local testimonials and high end visuals on why we live in Brockville is in the printing stage with publication release and campaign launch still targeted for February.
· BLOCKHOUSE SQUARE DEVELOPMENT - The negotiations continue on this $60 million Water Street commercial, condo-hotel, residential and parking complex with the next stage of approvals and introduction to Council for approvals estimate for the February/March period. Various research and feasibility documents were received and both City and developer are closer to completion of a financial framework for assessment and recommendations.
· WATERFRONT IMPROVEMENT COMMITTEE AT READINESS MODE - The Economic Development Advisory Team task team responsible for championing the waterfront vision from the City’s economic development strategy is preparing the introduction to Council on the findings to prioritize and advance the strategy’s recommended actions. A detailed site plan has been completed by the dedicated community group with a unique visual reference to the various developments suitable for Brockville’s treasured waterfront landscape and the additions to the campus to drive positive economic activity and related benefits for the next 20 years. A February or March target for the Council presentation is envisioned.
· BUSINESS ACCELERATORS - Planning continues for a better model to enhance the acceleration of innovation and technology for the Brockville/Leeds Grenville area. January round table planning sessions have commenced to introduce a Kingston and Ottawa model with support from the Research Council of Canada. The intention is to host a broader session with all area technology firms, new innovation entrepreneurs and our local angel network who could provide the equity investment on start-up of viable innovators who will ultimately commercialize products in our area and establish office and research facilities. Other attempts for innovation centres and incubation have not succeeded locally, and this approach with external support, may provide the stimulus to become a more feasible entity.
· TALL SHIPS 1812 - BROCKVILLE THE FIRST PORT OF CALL - The new heritage and nautical theme showcase scheduled for June 14 to 16th is growing into one of the Provinces leading Bicentennial extravaganza with now up to 12 Tall Ships and some 20 classic antique boats with multiple land based attraction and activities. Gord Brown our MP for Leeds Grenville announced further federal financial support this month enabling several new additions to the programming and logistics support to host such a major festival. Poster, banners, new signage and a hot air balloon will be introduced in the next few weeks providing the uplifting flavor of anticipating on this unique happening for Brockville. The City will never see again so many tall ships, muskets and cannon fire with a grand 1812 Overture to fireworks on the Saturday night.
Dec-12-2014The Excellence in Manufacturing Consortium (EMC) is nearing completion of a new advanced tool to pos
Dec-12-2014Investment Attraction Summary Report – The annual summary report on development inquiry
Dec-12-2014Three industrial park transactions have been approved, representing a total of 15 acres of sales tha
Dec-12-2014Canada’s manufacturing sector has encountered a significant strain on operations and related e
Dec-12-2014To to receive eNews notifications automatically, subscribe or email Stephan
Dec-12-2014Understanding US corporate executives and site locators’ views on Canada can assist on the req